5 things you didn’t know about the cocoa bean
We all know that chocolate is derived from the cocoa bean, but here are 5 things you probably never knew about the cocoa bean: –
- Cocoa beans grow out of the tree rather than the branches of the tree.
- In around 350BC in Ecuador the Mayans were the first to use cocoa beans as a crop
- The first chocolate was in drink form which may have had some chill or honey to take away the bitterness.
- Over 50 percent of the cocoa bean is fat
- In ancient times obsidian monks would pierce their ears and add their blood to their chocolate drinks.