8 super facts about strawberries
Whether or not Andy Murray wins or loses, one thing is assured at Wimbledon, there will be loads of strawberries and lashings of cream served up throughout the two weeks of tennis. We’ve put together a list of 8 super facts about strawberries for you.
- Strawberries are full of flavonoids, which contribute towards the red colour of the fruit. They can also reduce cholesterol in your blood stream.
- Eight strawberries have the same amount of Vitamin C as an orange
- The word Strawberry is an Old English word coming from Streowberie or streawbelige. There are a few theories about how the name came into being, one being that the straw bit was about the straw used to keep the fruit fresh.
- The Latin name for Strawberry is Fragaria Ananassa.
- Strawberries are not just red…you can get white and yellow varieties too
- Some strawberries, almost unbelievably, taste of pineapples.
- Strawberries and Raspberries belong to the Rose family
- Romans thought that Strawberries could cure a wide range of illnesses.